Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bread recipe!

I made this bread to go with our cream of mushroom/wild rice soup. I was going to make regular whole wheat bread, but found this recipe in a Taste of Home little cookbook and decided to try it instead. I think it turned out well and was very easy.

Dilly Casserole Bread

1 pkg (1/4oz.) active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. cottage cheese, lukewarm
2 T. sugar
1T. instant minced onion (I did dehydrated onion flakes)
1 T. butter
2 T. dill seed (I did dill weed/leaf)
1 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1 egg
2 1/4- 2 1/2 c. all purpose flour (I think I did about 1 1/2c. whole wheat)
Additional butter

Dissolve yeast in water; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, onion, butter, dill, salt, baking soda and egg; mix until blended. Stir in yeast mixture. Gradually add flour to form a stiff dough. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 1 hour. Stir down. Turn into a well greased 8 in. round casserole, about 1- 1 1/2 qt. size. Let rise 30-40 min. bake at 350 F. for 35-45 minutes. Brush with butter. Cut in wedges to serve.
[This says it yields 10 servings, but I couldn't figure out how to cut the bread into 10 pieces and get them out whole. I manged 8 pieces that are a very good size. ]

No comments: