Thursday, February 19, 2009

He is from sine, I'm from cosine

A few weeks ago I found this book on Celtic knots at the library. Since I love how they look but for the life of me haven't been able to reproduce consistently myself, I borrowed it. I think it is a great book! It breaks down the steps in making numerous Celtic knots so easily even I can do it.
Last night I was working on some of them when I showed a design to Dr. Daddy. I asked him if he would be able to do it (without looking at the instructions) since he has often tried to explain to me what a simple concept they are.

Dr. Daddy: Sure, its just a sine wave with a cosine wave that goes back on itself.
Me: Blank stare (I haven't actually taken a math class since 11th grade.)

He then proceeded to sketch it out. So I showed him the step by step breakdown of the design. I asked him if that made it any easier for him.
He said, "no, because that is a linear representation and I find it easier to look at it as intersecting waves".
At which point I gave up. Actually what I did was grab a post-it note and wrote down what he said while simultaneously laughing.
Isn't it amazing how very differently our brains work? I'm just glad someone wrote a book about Celtic knots for people like me!

4 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

you should post a side by side comparison of your efforts!

Catherine said...

Hilarious! That sounds like something Dad Saylor would have said. :)

Would you post or email me the lime coconut green bean recipe? It sounds like something I might be able to handle.

Berji's domain said...

Joel actually made the green beans. I will try to get him to tell me what he did :)
It does indeed sound like his own dad!

He drew his in under a minute. I did mine in well over 2 minutes (and in color), so it wouldn't be fair to compare. :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha...
I read this one aloud to Lise, and we both laughed pretty hard. Then we recounted it at Bible study, too. We miss you guys!
-C