Monday, February 23, 2009

Recipe time

For a Valentine's Day potluck I made a Mocha Truffle Cheesecake. (It was the same recipe that we used for Dr. Daddy's PhD defense party.) Oh so good! Even people that don't like coffee liked this cheesecake.
If you're privileged enough to live near a Trader Joe's, do a chocolate Cats "graham cracker" crust. Otherwise, just a regular graham cracker crust will do.
I followed this recipe for the filling, from Taste of Home. For the instant coffee I actually used instant decaf (because I knew Eirena would want some). I baked it for the right amount of time and then I left it in the oven (oven turned off) with the oven door open a bit and let it cool that way. It didn't crack at all and I was very impressed.
When Dr. Daddy made this for his party he put a sour cream ganache topping on it. I wanted the cheesecake to stand out, so I didn't do that. I did melt white chocolate chips with the intention of just drizzling it over the cheesecake, but I have deficiencies in the drizzling catagory. Instead I spread it on and it looked okay, but when I cut it, it just flaked off. So... meh. If you can drizzle that would probably look impressive.
Overall though... scrumptious, if I do say so myself!


Green Beans with coconut and lime

One night Dr. Daddy was helping me cook. I asked him to make the beans up. Since we were having curry, he did something like this:
Heat oil.
Add green beans.
Add some dessicated coconut.
Add some curry powder.
Add some lime (or lemon) juice and zest.
Add some salt.
Cook until beans are tender.

It tasted pretty good. I think it would have been better if he put a little coconut milk in with the beans to round out the flavor.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Thanks Jeannette! I think I can handle that one (the green beans, not the cheesecake). :)

Lynn said...

Both your recipes sound so good! You and your hubby sound like a good team in the kitchen :) Now you must tell me . . . how do you make chai? Sorry to be so ignorant, but I'm not actually sure what it even is! A kind of sweetened tea? Thanks for any info! Inquiring chefs want to know!

Lynn said...

I had to tell you, I used your instructions for making chai and it was delicious! I didn't add all the spices, just vanilla (because I am chicken, I guess is the real reason ;)) but with the sweetened condensed milk and the splash of vanilla, it was probably one of the best cups of tea I've ever had! Thanks for the instructions. And I'm glad you liked the pesto mushrooms at your fondue get-together :)