Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Shopping Bags

A few days ago I heard a news story about people in Seattle protesting against (and some supporting) a tax on grocery bags- paper and plastic. One of the people interviewed mentioned that she always carries reusable bags with her, but never remembers to take them out of her car. I don't really understand that- the places I usually hit for groceries deduct 5-10 cents per bag off my grocery bill. (I yes, I do take in more bags to the store that gives me 10 cents off, rather than the 5 cent store if I have to choose.) When I do get plastic bags we always reuse them as trash bags or dog poop bags, so I would personally support not taxing the bag but encouraging the use of reusable bags even more.
I didn't think too hard on the topic since it wasn't really affecting me. But I was reminded of it today when I went grocery shopping with Eirena. We were starting off at a store where I knew I would only be getting a few items, so I just picked out one bag to take in with us. While we were in the parking lot Eirena stopped and said, "but no, you didn't take the other bags!" I explained the method to my madness and then it was okay to proceed to the store. But it made me think of two things. 1) I never taught Eirena about taking our own bags, but she just knows the habit by going with me every week (what else is she picking up on that I'm not really aware I'm teaching her?) 2) do you think I could hire her out to people to remind them (like the lady above) to take in their grocery bags?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, you can hire her out...but I want first dibs on your loaner child. Can you fly her here?

We usually remember our bags, and when we don't (or when we buy more groceries than we have bags) we also use them for trash bags, etc. At the very least we take them back to the store for recycling.

I've enjoyed the last few installments of Eirena-isms. How's the progress on the two new ones?

-C

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

please lend her to me for awhile. . .at least tape her voice to remind me when I get to the store. I have such good intentions. . .unfortunately, I'm not sure my kiddos are getting such good tips from me. . . : (

Lynn said...

That's a great idea, that the stores you frequent deduct some cash off your grocery bill if you bring in your own bags. That would be great incentive for those of us who are trying to be frugal :) It would help me to remember.