Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Weight lifting for dogs- sort of

I was talking with a friend the other day about how I wish dogs could lift weights. It really isn't as entirely random as it seems. Shockingly, I have often chosen an extra hour of sleep over getting out of bed to walk/run. I often lift weights on the days that I don't do aerobic exercise, but poor Uc is left with energy unspent. So if only someone could figure out a way for dogs to do some weight lifting,I reasoned, that would be better than nothing. So this friend I was talking to mentioned attaching weights to the dog while taking it on walks to add a little more strain. I imagined the ankle weights that velcro on and thought how funny that would look. And then it hit me... the doggy backpack!


Thank you REI outlet clearance! We actually got this so that we wouldn't have to carry water and food for Uc when we're hiking, but I figured a couple of liters of water might slow her down. The picture is of her post-walk/run. She looks pretty tired, doesn't she? I actually didn't have to hold her back once. (It may have had something to do with the fact that she is still getting used to her backpack, but a little weight didn't hurt either.)

No comments: