Friday, August 28, 2009

Identity Theft

or why you shouldn't talk on your cell phone in the bathroom.

The other day I was out with Eirena. As usual for me in this time of life (pregnant) I had to pee. So we went to the restroom. There was another lady in there doing her thing and talking on her cell phone about some medical condition she may or may not have. Now taking a two-year old to the restroom automatically disqualifies you for quietest patron and Eirena was doing her part to let the other person on the line know that the lady was in a bathroom.
But not only was she having a regular ol' conversation on the phone, she was divulging personal information! And I don't mean the details of a sordid love tryst either. No, she was giving this person her social security number, her date of birth (.....1951) her phone number, everything except her name (or maybe I came in too late in the conversation for that).
I felt like knocking on her stall and telling that she is making a grave error in broadcasting this information in a public bathroom. But really, if someone could get a hold of our card info and use at a Walmart in NY (while we had not left the state of AZ in months) how hard could it be to find out who this person is and get even more data on her and then use it to her detriment? I guess lucky for her it was me in the stall next to her, rather than someone with a more criminal mind.
The incident also left me wondering about bathroom etiquette... if you can tell someone is on their phone in the bathroom, do you try to keep things quiet (I'm talking about a little girl banging on the toilet paper roll cover, not other stuff) so they can have their conversation? Or do you just go on with life because it is just weird to be on your phone in the bathroom anyway?

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

No need to shush your daughter in a public restroom. The lady should have gone someplace more private. Once when there were 3 people (not including me and my 4)in line for a restroom and some lady was in the midst of a super long monologue gossip session on her cell. I kept wanting to ask her to hurry up as she couldn't possibly be "going" for that long! You can only go to the bathroom in a designated area, you can talk on your cell phone anywhere!!

Lynn said...

Wow, this lady was certainly not showing very sound judgment. She is fortunate you were in that stall and not some thief! I think you did just right by making the regular amount of noise, so at least she knew someone else was there.