Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Recipe Time!

So y'all know we are cheesecake fans around here. Usually that means dessert cheesecake. But I actually found a recipe for an appetizer/main dish cheesecake.
Savory Swiss Cheeseccake

1 c. finely crushed thin wheat crackers
3 T. butter, melted
12 oz. cream cheese
16 oz. plain yogurt
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 t. dried basil (of course I did more)
1/8 t. dried rosemary, crushed (of course I did more)
2 c. /8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
assorted crackers

In a bowl, combine cracker crumbs and butter. Press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add the yogurt, egg, egg yolk, basil and rosemary; beat on low speed until just blended. Stir in Swiss cheese.
Pour into crust. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on wire rack for 10 min. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen.; cool 1 hr longer. Refrigerate overnight. Eat with crackers.

[The second time I made this I dumped in a little extra blue cheese that we had. This is not recommended. ]
We like to eat this with crackers and a large salad. It is nice for a warm summer day when you want a simple meal. Of course, it helps to think of this ahead of time, otherwise you're serving sloopy cheesecake. But naturally I always plan ahead :) .

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

This sounds yummy! Great idea to make a main dish cheesecake; I've never heard of that before.

Thanks for the comment on my pizza recipe, by the way. We love pesto but always buy it as we never seem to be able to grow enough basil to make it. Do you have a pesto recipe you'd be willing to share? Do you grow your own basil, or get it at the grocery store?

Lynn said...

Thanks for the pesto recipe, Berji's domain! When I get enough basil, I'm trying it :)

Unknown said...

What was wrong with the bleu cheese? Was it too salty? Should I try it with iranian feta or not? It's milder than goat feta but still salty.

Berji's domain said...

I generally don't like blue cheese anyway, primarily because of its "old, sweaty feet" smell. (I have 2 older brother, can you tell ;)? ) Anyway, we both that that particular flavor carried over into the cheesecake. I think feta would be okay, but you certainly wouldn't want to add any salt. Maybe if you cut it with something less salty, if you have that available, it would be even better.