Monday, March 23, 2009

A little snip, snip...

I'm talking about a couple of threads from the apron strings, what were you thinking about?!

Eirena seems to be going through a push-me-pull-you phase of discovering some of her autonomy. Yesterday we took her to the mall. At first she wanted to hold our hands. Then she wanted to run in front of us. As I was briskly walking to keep up with her, she stopped and said, "no mommy walk with Eirena. Want Daddy to walk by Eirena." (Okay then, I've been put in my place!)
She wants to eat on her own, and then she wants us to feed her.
She is happy using a napkin like a big girl, but then she wants to sit in one of our laps during meal time.
She wants privacy when she poops, but she wants me to hold her when she pees.
She doesn't want to give kisses goodnight, then she gives me 5.

I think she is trying to sort out the whole idea of being an independent little body. I don't take her pushing away of me personally, mostly because I know that she still needs me and will come running to me when she needs a hug. I figure she is just learning about being a big girl versus a baby. (And she is also learning how to be polite about expressing those desires!) But it does make me treasure the little hugs and snuggles more, brief though they may be!

No comments: