Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Movie reviews

We watched two movies recently that I thought were actually pretty good. They are both set during WWII. The first is The Counterfeiters, about a huge counterfeiting operation by the Nazis in an attempt to crash the British and U.S. economies. It is based on a true story and is entertaining. It won an Oscar in 2008. What I really found interesting about the movie is the tension between standing up for your principles and following the orders so that your "group"(fellow prisoners) doesn't get hurt. Would you stand up for your Communist principles and allow the rest of the counterfieting team to be killed? What about being a banker and swearing to uphold the law? Both of these situations are portrayed in the movie and it gave me at least, a little fodder for thought.

The second movie is The Man Who Never Was. This is about Brits who come up with a plan to fool the Nazis into thinking they will invade from Spain, so that the Nazi defenses will be weaker in Sicily. This was also based on actual events that took place during the war- a good start for a movie. Also, there were little tidbits of humor thrown in that kept it moving and lightened the tone a little, which I really liked.

Watch these if you like war, historically based or intrigue movies!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw the Counterfeiters too and loved it. We will have to try the other one. We just finished a 2 disk version of Les Miserables in French. So maybe a lighter one first?

Berji's domain said...

actually the thing I really liked about The Man Who Never Was, was that it wasn't a deep, heavy WWII movie. Its gt some British humor- I think you'd like it :)

Aubrey said...

So I did peel the pears first, at least mostly. If there are a few pieces that doesn't matter, but I do try to get them mostly clean.