Monday, November 10, 2008

small town signs

This past weekend we went to Houston to visit Dr. Daddy's family. We were driving back fairly late (eh hem 8:30pm) at night and I was trying to help Dr. Daddy stay awake. So I was looking at road signs. Perhaps it was just too late for us, but we thought the signs (and our accompanying comments) were pretty funny.

Textured Pavement (back where I come from we call that bumps and potholes, but as Dr. Daddy pointed out, maybe if you make it sound artsy and intentional you won't have to fix it).

Old Potato Road (is that what they called that drink back during Prohibition? "oh no officer, we would never have alcohol, they're just old potatoes that we randomly store on this road")
-for the record I know that you were allowed to make your own brew, just not sell it, but it doesn't have quite the same effect to think of it like that

Friendship Cemetary (do all the remains rise up and sing kum-ba-ya at night? you are buried there if you want to make friends? "they had no friends in life, but in death they are surrounded by them")

And finally, as we were driving out of Houston, we saw road signs (generally used to warn of major traffic blockages or slow downs) with announcements about the football game going on. After much discussion about whether or not Houston had a football team and who it was (airing our ignorance of such matters) we noticed that in fact all the traffic was headed in the OPPOSITE direction of the football stadium. To which we remarked perhaps the team was so bad, that the sign is there to warn people to get out of town before the kickoff!

Well I hope y'all were at least a little amused. And if not, well, know that at least we stayed awake enough to make it home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the street in Houston called Kerkendall (or some variation on my name)? When I was in Houston interviewing, everyone kept telling me about that street.

Carrie
(Look, I commented on your blog ;) )

Berji's domain said...

Kuykendhal- yup we saw it and I at least, thought of you :)
I thought of mentioning it on FB yesterday.