This recipe is so good, it will suffice for today and tomorrow's post. Actually I will be having a phone chat with our adoption case worker tomorrow while Eirena is down for her nap, so unless something tremendous happens I won't post.
But really, this recipe is good. I got it out of a Thai cookbook Joel brought back from London for me (makes sense, right?) and I think the ounces are for the British system, not American ounces.
Coconut Ice-cream
225 ml (8 fl.oz) coconut milk
175 ml (6 fl. oz) whipping cream
60 g (2 1/2 oz) sugar
3 T. finely chopped tender coconut flesh or 2 T.unsweetened dessicated coconut, toasted
2 eggs
In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, whipping cram, sugar and coconut flesh and bring to a boil. Beat the eggs in a bowl, then whisk the boiling coconut milk mixture into the egg. Allow to cool.
Pour the mixture into a small loafpan, cover and freeze until firm. Break up the ice cream, then beat in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon the mixture back into the tin, cover and freeze for several more hours until firm.
my comments:
I did a double recipe and it nicely filled a regular loaf pan and was mostly firm in 6 hours.
Typing this up I am wondering if I did 2 or 4 eggs. I can't remember, but if it was only two, it turned out well anyway.
I actually had a tender coconut to use, so I did the flesh from that, a can of coconut milk and a little bit of the water from the coconut to make up the full amount for a double recipe.
I did not beat it up once partially frozen- we wanted to eat it and it wasn't really crystallized.
I had to guess on the amount of sugar, and either I put a bit too much in or the coconut was just really naturally sweet and so the recipe could use less. (Or maybe none at all.)
I made a tart! cranberry sauce to go over it, to balance the sweetness.
Overall, really yummy and a very refreshing dessert!
No comments:
Post a Comment