Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spinach Recipe

Last pregnancy I was all about broccoli. I don't know why. But Eirena is a total broccoli lover now so I'm not complaining. This time it seems to be spinach. I'm weird, aren't I? (Where are the cravings for ice cream, chocolate, donuts, etc.?) Anyway, here is what I make when I want some good ol' green stuff. It is based on the recipe for Palak Paneer in case anyone is curious.

-1 bag frozen spinach
- steam this until hot all the way through, I usually boil a minimal amount of water in a pot, dump the spinach in, put a lid on it and let it get hot
- once it is hot, pour into your blender
- add a bunch of cilantro and a handful of fresh mint leaves (gotta have the mint leaves)
- puree
- chop 1-2 cloves of garlic and a large knob of ginger (you can add some chili flakes if you want)
- fry the garlic and ginger
- pour in spinach puree
- add ~2 T. tomato puree, blend in
- when the spinach is bubbly (and splattering all over your stove), add some yogurt ~1/4 c.
- you can also add ~2-3 T. cream or 1/2 & 1/2 at this point, but if not, just add more yogurt. Its not supposed to look like creamed spinach, but it rounds out the flavor so add until you feel you have a round flavor :)
- if you want to make this into a main dish, add the paneer now, otherwise this can be an easy side/veggie dish. I made this to go with chicken biryanithe other day.

Enjoy!

No comments: