Sunday, June 14, 2009

Red Pepper Walnut Dip

I promised this recipe to a friend and so I figured I would just put it out for anyone to use. The red pepper refers to chili peppers.
1 c. walnuts
1 T. olive oil
1 T. pomegranate molasses or lemon juice (I've done both, your choice)
1 t. sugar (I skipped this)
1/2 t. cumin
1 T. paprika
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. Aleppo pepper or cayenne pepper

Put everything in a food processor and blend to a chunky paste. If it is too thick, add 1-2 T. water or lemon juice.

*Aleppo pepper I think has one of the highest rating for heat index of chilies, so this is supposed to be spicy. However, you can reduce the cayenne or Aleppo pepper to ~1/2 t. and still get a little bite without clearing the sinuses.

We like to have this with hummus, pita bread and a salad.
Tonight I dumped in a can of olives that I had on hand (for something that I forgot to add the olives to!) and it gave it a nice flavor- a little more mellow than usual.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Jeannette... So what is pomegranate molasses? We will have fresh pomegranates up the wazoo here in a couple months. Can you make it with that?
-A

Berji's domain said...

I think it is boiled down pomegranate juice- when I made it with the molasses, I found it at Ali Baba's. It is thick and tart. I don't think you'd want the seeds in there.

Meghan said...

got any dip recipes with no nuts? i'm itching for some good food.

Berji's domain said...

hummus?

Lynn said...

This sounds tasty. I'm glad you cleared up the "pomegranate molasses" question - I was just about to ask!