Friday, June 12, 2009

Theology for two-year olds

When Eirena started quoting passages of Curious George, or other books and songs, we decided that she was old enough to start learning Bible verses. So tonight she was saying her verse and started off like this:
"For it is by grace that ... grace means?" (interpretation: what does grace mean?)
I tried to explain grace to her little mind.
"that you have been saved. Saved means?"
I tried to explain that.
"Not by works... means?"
I explained.
"love means?" (another one of her verses is 1 John 4:7 & 8)
"so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus ... Jesus means?"
I explained who Jesus is.
Finally we got through the rest of the verse, and then she said "Ephusians (Ephesians) means?"
Well, that one at least was easy!
Nothing like trying to explain grace and salvation to a two year old. Anyone who has great tips, feel free to share them!

In case you're wondering, it was Eph 2:8, 9 AND TEN! (as Eirena says it) that she was saying and asking questions about.

No comments: