Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Squash

So I don't REALLY like squash. It's alright, in small doses, but it isn't my favorite vegetable. But we planted a couple of rows of it in our garden this year. (Last year our neighbor's squash invaded our garden and planted itself and they were very happy for us to eat the squash on our side of the fence.) But this year, I actually planted it, not because I love it so much, but because I suspected it would be easy to grow. I was right. It is taking over our garden. And moving into the neighbor's yard (different state, different neighbors). But anyway, so we have lovely squash...and lots of it. I gave a bag full to a friend on Sunday and there is still more to give away, and I'm eating what I can.
So here is how I cooked up the squash today, which I thought turned out quite well.

1 chicken breast marinaded with:
~1/4 t. gr. cumin
~1/4 t. gr. coriander
juice of 1 lemon
~1/2 t. paprika
salt, pepper
~2 T. fresh cilantro (from our garden!)
marinade the chicken

Chop squash into smallish pieces, place in olive oil greased baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over squash. Dump chicken and marinade over it. Broiled until chicken is cooked.

I added the chicken to a salad and had the squash on the side. With the juice of a full lemon, it was definitely lemony, I didn't mind, but you prefer a more subtle flavor, maybe only do half a lemon.

No comments: