Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Throw together brownies

Last night after a more-stressful-than-it-should-have-been bed time routine, Dr. Daddy said he could either eat a whole lot of ice cream or some brownies. We generally don't have ice cream on hand, (or in the freezer) and I didn't think he really wanted to go out to get some, so I volunteered to make brownies. I based it on a real recipe, but I have made that recipe so many times I feel comfortable venturing out into additions and "fakin' it". So this is what I made:
Brownies
5-6 T. dark cocoa powder (I lost count so I threw in an extra tablespoon just in case)
1 T. instant coffee
~1/4 t. chilli powder (just the straight chilli powder, not the stuff with cumin, onion and garlic too)
1/2 c. shortening (we're low on coconut oil so I used palm oil)
---mix together
2 eggs
---mix
~3/4 c. turbinado sugar
---mix
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
---mix
Pour into greased 9" square pan. Sprinkle a handful of sliced almonds over top. Bake at 325 for ~15min (if you like your brownies gooey). When they are almost done, spoon remainder of container of cream cheese (~2 oz) over top into little globs, let it melt in the oven. Then spread it a little more. Eat it while it is still warm and gooey and I guarantee a bad day will go away.

But... it also makes little babies very happy to still be directly attached to the pipeline and reluctant to leave. (Although said baby will thank you with an entertaining happy dance.)

1 comment:

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

Chilli powder? That's a new one! Trust my sister!