Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Literalist

When Adisu first came home, it was pretty hard to determine his personality. But slowly it is emerging. One thing we have noticed is that he takes things very literally. Very.

One day he was in the bath. I came in and told him to scrub himself off. Guiding his actions, I started saying "scrub your toes, scrub your legs, scrub your bum..." and then left, thinking the message of scrubbing progressively up the body was clear. I came back about 10 minutes later to find him still scrubbing that same spot on his bum. Apparently it wasn't so clear.

Yesterday Tayta was sweeping the floor for us. Not wanting underfoots to redistribute the dirt pile, she said, "watch the dirt!". To which Adisu came running into the kitchen to---watch the dirt.

Oh the joys of language learning and personality combining and clashing at the same time. ;)

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

and whatever you do, make sure you never tell him to wash his hands off!

Berji's domain said...

indeed, he would try to do it!