Labor started at 2pm right after I finished two methods of natural induction (castor oil and pumping). Contractions started at about 3 min apart and lasted for about 1 minute. After that happening for an hour we called the midwife to tell her that it seemed like FINALLY I was in labor. Then we called up people to get someone to stay with the kids. Dr. Daddy packed our bags, made cookies with Eirena and organized everything. I hung out on the over the table and then on the birthing ball. Once the babysitter arrived we headed out trying to avoid too much rush hour traffic. We got to the birth center at about 5:30pm. A quick check showed I was at 4cm. We settled into our room which was "Santa Fe" themed. It had an inspirational painting of ocotillo and prickly pear cactus in bloom with a mountain in the background. It reminded me of walking in Sabino canyon and I used that mental image to get me through some of the contractions when I wasn't listening to music. For a while I hung out on the birthing ball at the birth center, then I took a hot shower. I lay on the bed for a while and then it was back to the birthing ball and then a quick check from the midwife told us that I was already at 9 cm, shortly before 9pm.
I was surprised, but quite glad because the contractions were getting more intense. But progressing that far also meant that I could get in the hot tub if I wanted. I wanted. The water felt great, but labor slowed a little because the amniotic sack was sitting in the way and wasn't breaking. The midwife had suggested having me get out of the water so that she could break it, if we wanted, because she thought that was hindering progress. But I was not in favor of moving out of the tub. I did manage to turn over (I was still on hands and knees in the tub) so she then had access and then she tried to break the water in the tub. It worked and then pushing contractions started. Although it felt like an hour or more, apparently I was only pushing for 8 min when little Eskil wiggled his way on out. He looked healthy but mini and was covered in vernix, making us all think that he really wasn't 12 days "overdue". A few more pushes and the placenta came out (unlike when Eirena was born).
We stayed at the birth center for 6 hours (during which time he pooped twice and peed once) and then were given clearance to go home. So the kids woke up Saturday morning to meet their new brother.
Eirena seems quite taken with her brother and loves to hold him, look at him and kiss him. Adisu is less impressed and a little wary.
6 comments:
Congratulations! He's so beautiful!!! Such a great name!!
Yaay! I'm so glad it all went well and that he's here! Congrats! He is very very cute.
Congratulations, he is very beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Praise God for a safe and speedy delivery! Love to you all!!
Thanks for sharing your story. Each one is unique and interesting. So glad both you and baby Eskil are doing well.
What a doll! He looks absolutely perfect. Beautiful in every way. Congratulations. What a blessing.
He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! So exciting! It sounds like one super smooth birth. I'm so very happy for you!
Wow, you are going to be one busy Mama!
Post a Comment