I decided to keep the "autumnal baking" theme and make pumpkin butter. I used this recipe and mostly followed the directions.
Instead of canned pumpkin I bought a couple and baked them into puree. I did a little more apple juice, used only about 1 c. of sugar, half brown, half turbinado and added the tiniest pinch of salt.
The result? Well, other than a huge mess in the kitchen as is boiled... I'm not sure if I just had mealy pumpkins or all the ground spices threw the texture off. I suspect it was the pumpkins, but texture seemed a little grainy- not quite what I was hoping for. As far as taste- it was passable. I think apple butter has more complexity in flavor than this pumpkin butter. Seeing as I have quite a lot of it, I think I might use a good portion of it in baking.
UPDATE:
We had the pumpkin butter on homemade bread with crunchy almond butter (also homemade, so very crunchy) and I didn't notice the texture of the pumpkin butter. Also, the flavor was a nice compliment to the almond butter. So- don't eat it straight out of the jar, have it with something that has more texture!
No comments:
Post a Comment