Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Carnage

Yesterday we had a new visitors... ants. They just started filing in under the base boards of the house. A trickle at first and slowly increasing ranks until we were feeling outnumbered. Really, there are only so many Underfoots you can have in one house! So I tried peppermint essential oil.... dribbling that around. That held them at bay for the morning but by night they got reinforcements and I was out of essential oil. Thankfully, they don't seem to be fire ants, just every other type.
Well it gave the kids a new game to play. In addition to every train that rolls by and they shout excitedly "a train!" now they say "look Mommy! an ant!" as if each one is completely unlike the other hundreds before it.
This morning Dr. Daddy went out and got some ant bait and some spray. By lunch time the ant bait hadn't done its magic yet. So while the kids went down for nap time I sprayed the lines and trails of ants along the walls. And then I left it until some wee little child woke up too early from nap time. And then I mopped up the carcasses of ants. 'Twas quite the massacre. Little red and black bodies everywhere. But they were quite stationery. And I was so glad it wasn't a cockroach invasion!

No comments: