Saturday, June 5, 2010

On having children

In case you hadn't noticed, Eirena is a little preoccupied with human anatomy and in particular the workings of the uterus. So when we were at the library and they had a National Geographic dvd on cats and dogs in the womb and then being born, I thought this might be interesting for Eirena to watch.

Now a couple day before we watched it, Eirena asked me when we were going to pick up the little girl. (We had been looking at pictures of Ethiopia, when we picked up Adisu, so I think that was the connection.)

Yesterday we watched the episode on the dogs. It followed the pregnancies of a mastiff, a retriever and a chihuahua. While most of the information went way over her head, she was pretty fascinated by the birth of the various puppies. Apparently chihuahuas are bred so small that the bitch can't actually deliver her pups, so Eirena got to see a c-section on the dog.

Her play last night then, was to stick Fuzzy Bear up her shirt, say that he was in her uterus and he was going to be born, give herself a shot and then drop him out of her shirt. Oh dear, oh dear.

Later in the evening she was telling me about having a little girl in her uterus. I told her that it works much better to be married before you have babies, and then asked her if she was married. "No, I'm too little to get married, " she replied. Anyway, so she was going to have this little baby and it was a girl, called "a sister". Ahem.

I think we will return the dvd to the library. Enough biology for the time being.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Too funny! It sounds like you may have a future obstetrician on your hands :)