Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer time

Ah, summer in God's country... it's hot, it's humid and the nasty creepy crawly things come out.
I spotted my first roach of the season. BLECH! On the floor where I put my baby to have tummy time!
Well last summer after seeing a few too many of Those-Nasty-Things-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named, (and really, seeing one is too many in my opinion), I looked online for natural solutions.

According to the ever-wise internet, TNTWSNBN don't like soapy water, mint oil, cedarwood oil or citronella or bay leaves. Lucky for me, I've got a little apothecary shop in my pantry complete with mint, cedarwood and citronella oils. I also happen to have a bunch of bay leaves and whaddya know, I also happen to have a bunch of liquid soap (not detergent). So last year I concocted my own bug spray and stuck bay leaves in corners. I didn't worry about the animals or Eirena being exposed to them either. (Honestly, the animals run as far away as they can from the smell.) And up until today, I haven't seen another one of TNTWSNBN.

So guess what I did during nap time?
Made up another concoction and went spray crazy. (It also makes the house smell very nice.)

Here's to another TNTWSNBN-free summer!

2 comments:

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

you need to share the instructions now. what other bugs does it work on?

Berji's domain said...

I just made it up- liquid soap, water, add 5-10 drops of each of the essential oils. Citronella is good for mosquitoes and fleas as well. I think cedarwood is good against moths.
Then I spray it around the base boards and any cracks. Sometimes I mop my floor with it too.