Friday, May 28, 2010

Potty time

This is about things related to the potty. Feel free to skip if you're squeamish (or uninterested).

Tonight I told Eirena to sit on the potty before bed. I watched her get ready. All the while she was standing on the stool, facing the potty. I kept hoping that she wasn't about to try what I thought she was trying, but rather that she would turn around and sit down. When it became apparent that she was going to try to imitate her brother, I told her she needed to sit down to pee.
"Why?"
"Because you don't have a penis" (I thought that was excellent, why-stopping, logic.)
"I do have a penis, it's right there."
(Oh dear, now I get to explain male and female anatomy and the difference?)
Not feeling quite up to the task of explaining human biology in exquisite detail, I told her that if she peed like that she would make a big mess and have to clean the bathroom.
It worked! Whew. I passed Anatomy 101- avoiding toddler's curiosity.

3 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

We taught our boys to always sit at home so Eliannah never saw them stand to pee but somehow she got some kind of ideas about "their methods" because for the first couple of months of potty training she always sat on the toilet backwards! It is cute though :)

Berji's domain said...

Hee hee!
Adisu used to sit to pee, but due to gastrointestinal issues we've had to teach the stand-up way, thus the new interest on Eirena's part.

www.rosepearls23.blogspot.com said...

This is too funny! Can't wait to see you all again. Josh is very excited to someday soon meet the "rest of the family."