Today we happened to be in the same aisle and she paused and greeted me and then mentioned that she sees me every week. And then she went on to say that she doesn't know how I manage to shop with three kids and how well behaved they are in the store and how is that possible?
That left me feeling very awkward because I'm not about to dispense parenting advice to someone I don't know at all, but I also don't feel like my kids are naturally well behaved. Scratch that... I know my kids aren't naturally well behaved. They have their good days and their bad days (and their lollipop bribes to encourage good behavior during our routine grocery shopping time). We also have a routine and they know it and are used to it. And we try to practice good behavior and discipline at home so that it carries forth outside the home. But I didn't think she really wanted to hear all that. In fact, I wasn't really sure what she wanted to hear...
So I smiled at her and told her they were used to it and they do get used to it and pointed out her purse that her son had flung on the ground for her while we were talking. And wished her a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment