Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fashionista

I received a gift card to a particular store in my stocking this year. I decided to make use of Dr. Daddy taking a day off so that I could leave 2 out of 3 children behind, thus making the prospect of finding something and trying it on much more pleasant. So I took Eirena with me. I made it quite clear that we would not be shopping for her, but rather for me. She was still excited. This should have been my warning.
Upon entering the store we headed to the racks and racks of shirts and blouses. Eirena apparently was under the misconception that she was my fashion expert and would be selecting a shirt for me. I should have taken this as a cue to exit quickly.
Her first choice for me was a gold sequined blouse that someone-definitely not I- might choose to wear to a flashy New Year's Eve party sans children. I told her I wasn't interested in gold sequins. She took it well but then quickly chose a silver little blouse that reminded me of chain mail. I told her so. So she went on to some other shirt and explained that if I were to choose this one, I would look like a queen, like the queeniest queen of all. I had to break it to her gently that I was ok with not being a queen. At some point I reminded her that my favorite color was green- perhaps it was after the bright pink shirt she dragged out. So, taking this information to heart, she selected a green shirt for me: hot lime neon green! We moved on to the shoes aisle.
While I browsed the practical shoes Eirena was incredibly excited to see silver, gold, 4 inch heels and HOT PINK shoes. (All for me to try on, of course.) I did humor her in trying on a few of the shoes, but I drew the line at hot pink. Unfortunately none of the shoes fit quite perfectly so we had to move on. I took this opportunity to stay away from clothes and shoes.
In the end we left the store without having bought anything, which to the little 5 year old mind was just unfathomable. And I think she is seriously doubting my qualifications to dress myself as I clearly have no taste in style.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

I'll have to take your daughter shopping with me some time. I have silk hot pink 5 in heels with a big silver buckle - and no one had to talk me into them. I wonder where she got her taste? I guess pink and glitter are the height of fashion to little girls!

Berji's domain said...

I actually was thinking of you and your shoes when she was selecting things for me. Sadly, she got someone who just doesn't appreciate her taste in shoes (and hates shoe shopping) for a mother.