Dr. Daddy and I have decided that Adisu is the antithesis of a scientist. (Mostly joking, a little serious.) Here is our reasoning: when a new piece of data does not fit into his preconceived categories, rather than adjust his categories, he arbitrarily dismisses the data. I present two examples.
1) A while ago we were at a park and there was a parakeet. Adisu excitedly pointed out the green bird to me. I acknowledge that yes, it was indeed a green bird. To which he responded, "that's silly birds are green". (He has in fact seen other green birds, but I don't know if he has particularly noticed them before.)
2) Yesterday we were walking along the river and he saw a contraption floating on the water that had a roof on it. He asked me what it was. I responded that it was a boat with a roof so the sun doesn't shine directly on people. To which he responded, "boats don't have roofs".
I'm sure there is some psychological explanation for this. I don't think it is that important. We already know that he sees the world in stark white and deepest black and never a shade of grey. I suspect that may have something to do with it. He'll learn. And until then it gives Dr. Daddy and I some private amusement over the complete lack of the scientific method in his life.
1 comment:
Adisu is too young to understand that the outside world doesn't revolve around him. I know a lot of adults that STILL have that problem!
Brian
Post a Comment