Friday, October 29, 2010

Inspiration... maybe

Adisu has trouble thinking of things to do. Very frequently I find him just standing in the room, letting life pass him by. It is not for a lack of toys or activities but I suspect has a lot to do with developmental delays (emotional), orphanage life and orneriness combined. Daily I find myself reminding him that he is just standing there and asking him to be actively involved in life. Then he usually just chooses the same activity ad nauseum.

Not wanting to turn this into a confrontation or control issue has made it frustrating for me. But last night I came up with an idea. I found pictures of various activities he can do at home- painting, kicking a ball, playing with blocks, etc. I think I covered just about everything. I printed them up. Next step is to cut and laminate (just for durability). When I find him passively standing, I can tell him to pick a card out of the box and do the activity. Will it work? I hope so! We'll see...

2 comments:

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

That sounds like a very creative idea. Let us know how it works.
NW

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

That sounds like a very creative idea. Let us know how it works.
NW